Translate

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Walkways for Warriors our unsung hero's

Sometimes we come across people who simply have a servants heart. These aren't the big organizations with million dollar budgets, they are simply people like you and me who see a need and quietly go about doing something to fullfill the need.

Over the years, I have called upon a small group of soldiers who are part of an organization called "Walkways for Warriors", for small tasks to help our families when they needed an extra hand or two. Whether its clearing the driveway of a Wounded Warrior, or helping a Gold Star Wife clear out a garage or unpack from a big move, they do what needs to be done asking nothing in return.

I recently asked SGT Esdras Lucero, President of Walkways for Warriors to tell me a little about why he started the organization.
The idea of WFW came from a chance meeting with a soldier that received two 7.62 rounds in the chest. Because of his injury's he lost a lung was unable to remove the snow from in front of his house. There was no program of its kind at fort drum so i made one. Putting aside the time that i had to take to recover from my heart attack and the time that i deployed to Afghanistan i think that the program has help many  people. Every time I think I want to quit funding and putting time into the program, I meet some one that has injury's that are worse then mine, this reminds me of the need and the impact that simple acts carry. I joined the army to help people and to lead soldiers and with this program I feel strong that I fulfill what I set out to do. 
 
SGT Lucero can be contacted through email at walkwaysforwarriors@gmail.com .

We are thankful for their service to our Country and our Families.
Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment